Thursday, September 22, 2011

Rules of Rules

Very recently I was fined for over-speeding my car on the Marathahalli-Mahadevpura ring-road. I never over-speed my car and with my wife and kid in the car, the last thing that I could have thought of was to race my vehicle. I was suddenly asked to pull-over to the side of the road by an interceptor vehicle. The cops charged me with over-speeding. Puzzled I asked them what wad the speed-limit on the ring-road since I had seen no speed-limit signs by the road-side. I was told that the speed limit was 60 kmph. I thought in my mind that was rubbish; how can the speed limit on a ring-road be 60kmph? I asked them what was my speed, thinking may be I was cruising at 90/100 kmph speed. They told me that I was driving at 71kmph. I was amused. (moral of the story so far – never set rules that appear stupid…).


Besides I asked them where was the speed limit sign, as did the scores other car owners who had been intercepted. The traffic cops told me that it was there. But I still did not see any. To double-check I asked my wife, who was with me in the car, that did she see any speed-limit sign on the road. She did not see either. Funnily when we drove-off after paying some 300 bucks as fine, we did not see any speed-limit sign on the rest of the road either. And this time we had kept a more vigilant look since we were kind of checking ourselves in the event that we had not paid attention earlier. But there were none! (moral of the story-2: always tell the rule more than one time before implementing the same. A game is only fair when both the parties know the rule with clarity before the game began)

And then anyone who has driven on Indian road, even in a city like Bangalore, knows that there are habitual offenders – overloaded trucks, polluting private buses, lane-cutting cabs, demonic autos – all using the road as their private property. Somehow the traffic cops miss them every time. May be these trucks, buses, cabs, autos know the art of disappearing or our traffic systems are too friendly dumb. Where does the rule book go then? (moral of the story-3: Make sure that the rule is equal for everyone. Unequal rules are worse then the absence of rules, if there has to be one).

And finally, most roads are speed-breakers themselves. You do not need an extra-speed breaker. Broken roads, roads with potholes, illegal speed-bumps, 365 days metro or flyover constructions and hence pathetic diversions…the list is endless. So in the name of roads we have some broken concrete pieces at most of the places with vehicles having no lane discipline. But we have got an interceptor vehicle. It is almost like having a bullock-cart with a stereo system (moral of the story -4: imperfect systems cannot have rules enforced in isolation. As much there is an obsession to impose the rules, likewise there should be a passion to first perfect at least the basics).

Organizations also resemble our roads. Hence when they make and enforce rules on their employees they must remember –

a) Rules must not be stupid and unrealistic.

b) Rules must be clarified and communicated to all concerned before implementation.

c) Rules must be equal and not discriminatory, especially when it comes to implementation.

d) And finally, before making and imposing the rules, the systems must be improved. If systems get better, rules automatically shall get better too.

Rules of engagement should over-ride any other rule or its implemenation.

2 comments:

empty said...

I appreciate the way you have addressed such an annoying issue and most importantly the witty morals that you derived from it.I so sincerely wish that your efforts don't go in vain but make an impact on the concerned authorities.

Dr. Debashish Sengupta said...

Hi,
Thanks a million for your comments.

Amen...

Cheers,
Debashish