Thursday, July 21, 2011

Stupid Rules

Few days back at a busy traffic crossing at Bangalore when we were waiting for the light to turn green, a traffic warden jumped before our car and asked me to turn-off the engine. I was in the car with my wife and my five-year old kid. I politely gestured to the traffic warden in return, expressing my inability to turn-ff the car engine.However the highly animated traffic warden started gesturing vigorously. I rolled-down the window and explained him that since the AC is on I cannot switch-off the engine and since we all were dust-allergic the possibility of rolling-down the windows on a hot evening in one of the busiest junction where toxic fumes and gases emanating from hundred of vehicles around would be a bad idea. However he was not ready to listen and threatened me of dire consequences, if I did not comply. Then suddenly he took-out his blackberry and took a snap-off my car's number plate. He even suggested to me that mother-earth would not forgive me for my 'grave' sin. He finally forced me to turn-off the engine. By the time we pulled-off the junction, I and my family were quite disturbed by the traffic warden's rude and violent behavior and also thinking of what he might be up to with the snap that he had taken of my car's registration number. Worst he spoilt our memorable evening evening when we were returning from Crossword where my latest book had been listed in the best-seller category.I know some environmental enthusiasts would be jumping-off their seats by now in support of the traffic warden. But I am sorry, i would say these are 'Stupid Rules'. The idea of switching-off the car engines at traffic junction sounds so platonic but the harsh realities of our roads is that you can do that only at the risk of breathing-in ammonia and developing severe allergic infections, lung disorder and in the long-run a shortened life. Rules can never be set in isolation. They have to be set by remaining conscious of the ground realities and have to be practical; not esoteric and ideological which can never be related to.
Then few days back I read that some environment-conscious citizens in Bangalore started a campaign of not allowing the municipal corporation to cut few trees in a area for widening the road. They went and hugged the trees and all that made front-page masala for the local dailies. So this time it was the other way around the citizens were setting the rules. So many would exclaim, how sensitive, how humane. Bullshit! I am sorry for the use of words. But in all probability those who went and hugged the trees are the super-rich  enjoying all the luxuries in their house, adding more carbon-footprints then those poor labours and common man on the street who needs a better road to go to work everyday and earn bread for his/her family.
Some students reportedly went around streets of the city and asked people to stop honking to limit the sound pollution. Fantastic! how philanthropic. However if they had come to me I would tell them go fly a kite. For god's sake, honking saves lives on Indian roads. Bangalore which is the accident capital of India, accounts for 10% of the total accidents that happen in this country, there are some people who are asking people not to honk. In all probability, before sound pollution kills them, a swinging truck or a devilish bus or a erring cab would hit and kill them. And why just Bangalore, this is true of any Indian city. I am sure you all can vouch for it. Pure buffoonery...
In short, rules are only relevant if they are cognizant of the practical issues and the environment in which they are expected to be enforced. And then more stupid rules you have, more people will dissent and find a way around them or desert in frustration. Remember this is true for organizations too. When organizations set rules for their employees they should remember not to make them stupid or become oblivious of the practical ground situation.Such rules would only lead to more and more disengagement.

No comments: