Skip to main content

The Value of Reward

How long will it take for you to earn 100 bucks? Considering an average salary of Rs. 90000 per month it should be around 3000 rupees per day and assuming that person works for 10 hours a day it works out to be 300 rupees per hour or 5 rupees per minute. With that calculation it should take around 20 minutes to earn 100 rupees. Just 20 minutes! Easy? Yes? But Spar hyper store, part of the lifestyle group at Bangalore thinks it otherwise.


On my first visit to the Spar hyper store I was given a membership card and told that on every purchase points shall accumulate. I never cared to ask details about how these points accumulate and what do I do with the points, till yesterday when I went to the store again sans my membership card that I forgot back home. I had shopped for good 6000 rupees and when the billing clerk asked me whether I had a membership card or not, I told him that I did not, however asked whether my points can still be added if I tell my contact details that must be fed in their system. He directed me to their Customer Service desk. After asking whether my points can be added, out of curiosity I asked how do I accumulate these points and what do I get by accumulating them (just to check whether all the pain that I took to add yesterday’s points were worth or not). He told me that every 100 rupee purchase amounts to one point and if I accumulate 143 points then I get a 100 rupees voucher. More simply the equation means I have to shop for Rs. 14300/- to get a Rs. 100 voucher (yes 14300/- rupees!). Then once I accumulate those many points I have to bring my Driving license, my voter ID card and my pan card to claim my 100 rupees voucher ( wow! I did not need these many documents to file my tax returns even). At the end of the conversation, I was thinking who wants the voucher!

Today I overheard someone saying ‘Belated Happy Diwali Wishes’. I was thinking in my head that Diwali is over for more than a week. What is the use of this wish? How would the recipient feel? Mere hollow formality?

In short moral of the story is any reward or appreciation cannot be either a lip-service or delayed so much that that appreciation or reward loses its significance.

Organizations must remember that appreciation delayed and degraded is appreciation denied!

Comments

Harshit said…
I find these reward points very demeaning for an average consumer. I would never waste all my time, energy and money in collecting and redeeming such points which never seem to reach the redeemable limit or some worth redeemable value. Its a failed process of engaging the consumers.
Its pleasure reading your posts sir. Good to be back in learning more from you.
Thanks
Harshit Agarwal (Faculty - SRMSCET Bareilly)
Couldn't agree with you any less. Thanks.

Cheers,
Debashish
Devpriya Dey said…
ON TIME Reward & Recognitions given increases organisational commitment in an employee. Infact this fact has its base from the Herzberg's Motivation Theory. Not only the R&R practices, it can as minor as CONFIRMATION of an employee after the completion of probationary period.For a supervisor or a HR it is just an other employee's confirmation but for that employee it is the NEXT STEP in his/her career. Generally delaying in such activities tend to dis-engage an employee.

Popular posts from this blog

Teach your sons to respect Women!

How much is too much? Sexual violence against women goes unabated. The recent Mumbai rape of a photo journalist , gang-rape of a ladyconstable at the hands of dacoits in Jharkhand are stark reminders that nothing has changed since the Nirbhaya’s case in Delhi. And rape is not the only kind of sexual violence that women face in our country. Another growing menace is acid attacks. The BBC documentary below is nerve-racking as it shows the acid attack victims and their unimaginable sufferings. Most of such attacks have happened against young women who refuse the advances of unsolicited males. Why had India seen a spurt in cases of sexual violence in India? What’s behind this growing brutality? Is there anything wrong with the men and boys in our country? There is everything wrong in the way they are brought-up in our society. We seldom teach our sons to be respectful of girls and women. And most of them see how mothers and sisters are treated in the househol...

Ass(h)am(e) on us!

A mob in Guwahati , Assam, gropes, molests and strips a teenage girl in full public glare for 30 minutes before help comes in the form of police. No one comes to the rescue of the hapless girl. Reportedly, a TV journalist induced the mob to do the act. Some officers in the administration reportedly make light of the incident. A U.P. Khap Panchayat has issued a decree according to which all girls and women under the age of 40 must stay indoors. The older ones who are allowed to step-out must cover their faces with cloth like that of a corpse. What more…a state minister has reportedly supported the Khap’s diktat. A class VIII student is sexually assaulted by a bus driver in Hyderabad that leaves her traumatized. Despite the complaints by the parents, the authorities fail to act. In the past one month there has been series of sexual crimes against minors in India. What kind of society do we live-in? A society that treats its girls and women as cattle, or may be even worse! All i...

Formula for Perfect Indian Bride = ......

' Alliance invited for our only son (29/5'8"), well-settled, working in a MNC from a  fair, slim, beautiful, educated, smart homely girl. Please contact 00-000000' - a typical matrimonial classified advertisement that you will find in our newspapers. Looks a normal matrimonial ad except when you look closely through the fine print, that is never written in the ads but always spelt and meant in majority marriage alliances in the country. What's the fine print? Well, the fine print goes like this - a. The girl should be FAIR complexioned, fairer than the whites! No marks on skin and face should be glowing. This is true even if the boy looks as if he has just been to the coal mine. b. The girl should be Slim - she should have a good figure. The out of shape, 'ALL' size wearing boys also want in-shape girls. c. The girl should be Educated but not more than the boy. The girl can be successful, intelligent but not more than the boy. d. The girl sho...