Tuesday, November 3, 2020

WILL MY SON FIND HIS HOME?



An innocent question from my son stumped me this morning. His question was simple, yet I had no definite answer to the same. He asked me where do we belong? Which place can we call our home, or our domicile?

I can call the place I live, my home, if it feels like one; however, could find myself  as an ‘outsider’ even in my ‘home’. After all inclusivity and a wee bit of love and respect is all that is needed to make you call a place your home.

I wonder if someday I meet ‘aliens’ living in another far away planet, will they identify me as a Bengali, or as an Indian or as an Asian or as a resident of earth. I am sure it will be the last one. So, if earth is my home, then why am I an outsider in different parts of earth?

I still do not have answer to the question my son asked and wonder if I ever would have one. So, I just tell him consider earth as your home and see people as human beings alone. Remove these man-made labels of nationality, region, language, religion, caste, gender and colour from your mind and accept a human being for the virtues that he/she exhibits. Do not judge a book by its cover, instead by its letters.

And I believe that if at least some of us start thinking like this, then one day my son will definitely find his home. Till then we are just travelers.

1 comment:

Shweta said...

A message for him - One Source , one end . Nature did not differentiate and hence birth plus death are inevitably applicable to all. Life is a gift which was designed to be experienced by the superpower and we got to do , what we Ought to do. So , we might have both good and bad experiences , otherwise there is nothing interesting To wake up to.