Thursday, August 21, 2014

Holy Cow!!

The other day a cab driver slowed down suddenly in front of my car. Morning rush hours, such behaviour is even more irritating. I was curious why he slowed down suddenly. The cabbie rolled down his glasses and touched the ‘holy cow’ in the middle of the road and paid his obeisance.  I couldn't think of a more inappropriate place, time or manner for one to worship. Welcome to India!

A few meters ahead, the cabbie still driving ahead of me almost mowed down a pedestrian. The cabbie who was at fault, rolled down his glasses again and screamed cuss words towards the pedestrian and sped away.

What a contrast in a matter of minutes! Pleasing the God one moment and then ill-treating a creation of the same almighty the other moment. Will the Gods really be happy? – I thought in my mind.

Fasting, worshiping and other religious rituals have been steadfastly followed by devout beings yet many times they forget to show a little bit of compassion to the their fellow creatures. I would rather do the opposite. 

I un-belong to all religious rituals, customs and traditions – did God really ask us to perform all these and go through all this sacraments? Will this please the God? Or will a little compassion and kindness in our hearts for others, may not be charity but at least our behaviour that treats people with empathy and dignity will make this world a much better place and even Gods happier.

I wonder! 

No comments: