Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Blessed with a Child

My worst experience in the last 15 years of my professional career! It has to be the time after I had my first baby. I was working with this IT major and since my baby was too young, I applied for a change of project. During that time I had to face a couple of interviews within the organization for project transition. And every time I was asked whether I will be able to continue or deliver. My colleagues started to doubt my intentions and my ability after I became a mother. When the water went over my head, I even reported this matter to the ombudsman. But nothing changed and I finally quit. I felt I did not deserve this treatment after having proven myself for 8 years in the same organization. But I guess it’s all in the mindset!’  

- This is what a lady had to say about her company when I asked her about her worst experience in her 15 years of corporate career. She is currently working as a project manager in another IT company. It would not be surprising if most working mothers in the country have similar experiences. 

Blessed with a Child’ is perhaps the most common message that people sms, or tweet on having a new born baby. The phrase symbolizes the happiness and fulfillment that a man and a women derive out of parenthood. However most managers and organizations do not seem to think so especially when it comes to their female employees. 

Pregnancy and motherhood are often turned back on the female workers as a disadvantage to their careers. 


It is surprising that every company tells its employees – ‘we are like a family’, yet most of them have problem when the latter wants to have their own. I guess the lady was right – it’s all in the mindset…

No comments: