Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Not the first time, Not the last time!


What happened yesterday has occurred many times before.

Inside the lift of a mall, we reached our destination floor and as the lift door opened, we tried to step-out. However some 10 people waiting outside to get into the lift, got the better of us and powered their way-in before we could get out. With my seven year old son with me, I stood like a kitten and only when all of them had got themselves inside that we could step-out.

And I thought, it was an etiquette on part of the ‘boarders’ to let people step-out of the lift first! Isn't it so? Or have I been to the 'wrong school'?

Inside a huge store called Landmark with merchandise that ranged from books to movie & music discs, Xbox, PS2 games, toys, sports gear, mobile. We were quietly browsing the stuff that when someone shoved me with his elbow from behind. I glanced at this casual shopper and serious ‘shover’. But he was unrepentant. Forget about being apologetic, he did not even bother to look at me.

Pushing, shoving is so damn common here! No one really cares to apologize after that, as if it was your fault… and as if the ‘shover’ was screaming - ’why you numskull  why were you in my way? You deserve to get the knock!

And finally in the lift to get into the parking slot! The lift was packed and we were near the gate. The lift doors opened and as people standing in front of me started to de-board, I felt the guy behind pushing me. I stiffened my body and held my ground till I got a reasonable space to step-out. People got out of the lift…and they got out in a fashion that I was not able to locate who was the one who pushed me. Perhaps they all did! That my kid was with me was also not enough reason for them not to exert their animal instincts!

And these are all supposed to be cultured educated people of India! I was in a upmarket mall and that is what is generally presumed as footfall! So I am not being too unrealistic in my supposition or am I? J

On the road, at the Uduppi junction, the signal is red. I was on the wheels; the signal turned green and as I shifted gear to go, hundreds of people honked from behind. Wow! Everyone had noticed the signal turning green! And what split-second accuracy! People can’t even wait for me to shift the gears, they honk before that! 

Hey, how can be it their fault? Was I not supposed to vanish as soon as the ‘green’ came-on?

What happened yesterday has occurred many times before...And I know all this is going to occur many times more...So its nothing new, but every time it is equally disgusting. 

Wonder, why it happens! 'Culture', did I hear this word somewhere!

6 comments:

Asha said...

Deja-vu moments for many of us! My friend taught me a wonderful phrase to counter such beings "I am sorry. Its all my fault, you must be in a hurry, go on", pity they dont get the sarcasm many times!

Dr. Debashish Sengupta said...

:-)

Devpriya Dey said...

I guess it is the Forum Mall which is supposed to be the 2nd Best mall in India.

Dr. Debashish Sengupta said...

Hi Dev,

Does it really make any difference, which is the mall? :-)

Best,
Debashish

Unknown said...

Hello,this is truly a nice depiction of our so called fast and modern society.I think that most of the people in India have forgotten the general etiquette.They lack patience.This might be the result of the ignorance of moral and ethics in the education and behavior.This is the reason that even the well-educated people act in impolite manner and they don't even care if their negligence is hurting someone else.

Santhosh Parshi said...

Yeah this happened to me also many times while stepping out of a bus. Most of the people wont give space to the ones coming out of bus and compete to get into bus. This clearly indicates even a well educated guy fails in terms of execution.