Saturday, December 31, 2011

P-RAISE THE TOAST! HAPPY 2012

The other day I was parking my car in a wretched basement parking-lot with narrow bends and alleys. I started to park my car on a slope against the gradient and could park the car in a single attempt. The parking assistant who was helping me was seemingly impressed and said aloud - 'Gari bahut acha chalate hain, Sir', meaning 'You drive very well, Sir'. That instant recognition though small was real and made me feel good for I have always taken pride of my driving skills. Better, it made me forget the despicable parking-lot.
Ayan is home…Did I tell you about Ayan? My brother and his wife have been blessed with a baby boy. The two day old baby came home today and we were at our brother’s place to welcome our delight. My son Arnab has become a Dada (elder brother in Bengali) and he is both happy and overwhelmed by this promotion. His reaction at times is joyous and at times he is starting to feel a bit left-out. But small shots of praise, whenever he is doing something for his small bro, is making him feel delighted and responsible. He is excited and although being just 5 years old himself, is trying every bit to be caring and in-charge. We are both amused and delighted to see his brotherly overtures.
Anyways, just goes on to emphasize once again – appreciation need not be costly to be engaging and instant recognitions are always valued no matter how small they are or who really gives such notes of praise to you
So go ahead, tell someone this new year eve a word of praise to anyone who you feel has done something to be deserving of the same. And on that note, a VERY HAPPY 2012.

4 comments:

ashutosh said...

Dear Sir
first of all many many congratulation to you Ur Brother and your family for the new family member 'Ayan'. my west wishes with him.

sir i always like and learn some thing new from your blog and post.

as u said recognition are always valued respective there cost or size so i always try to appreciate and recognize instantly who so ever deserve for the same..

Devpriya Dey said...

Wow!!! I liked this phrase Sir "small shots of praise".

I think this gave birth to the system of "instant recognition programme".

In fact even Gallup Q12 which evaluates the employee engagement has one the questions as "In the last seven days, have you received recognition or praisefor doing good work?"
Many wonder how often people should be praised, but a good rule of thumb is about once a week. Here’s why: Whenever a person does something, there are consequences. Those consequences will affect whether work groups engage in that behavior again. We know that to get the results or consequences we want, frequent praise can encourage the behavior that produces it.

Dr. Debashish Sengupta said...

Dear Ashutosh,
Thanks for your wishes and for your such nice comments. Happy 2012
Cheers,
Debashish

Devpriya Dey said...

Thank you Sir for your continuous inspiration!!!

Best Regards,
Dev