Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cab Driver ko Gussa Kyon Ata Hain?

The title litreally means - Why does the cab driver feel annoyed? For those of you, who have kept a regular track of my posts, I am sure that you must have noticed my absence, since no new posts came for the last two days. A hurricane trip to one of my close friend kept me occupied. Returning from the airport yesterday night, I was dog-tired and was having a bad headache. The drive from airport to my home is a long one. Sometimes the time to reach home from the airport may be equal to the flight time, if you have just taken a domestic flight. Comfortably perched in the cab, I decided to catch a nap by the time I reach home. In Bangalore, however, man proposes and traffic disposes...the heavy traffic, constant blaring of horn, sudden braking by the cab driver to save some precious idiot's life and bumpy ride over the illegal speed humps kept me awake and miserable. The cab driver also looked frustrated by the traffic pile-up and started an impromptu discussion with me, perhaps in way to vent his frustration. Although I was in least mood to engage in any talk, I could not ignore his conversation since I knew he was feeling better after talking to me. More than philanthropy, I thought he will drive better if he can vent his frustration. This is what he had to say (I being a bengali and he being a kannadiga the only common languages between us are Hindi or English. He told me all in broken Hindi that I have translated in English) –


You know Sir, this entire traffic problem can be solved. But none tries to do that. Illegal speed-breakers on the road, too may U-turns, too many traffic lights all slow down the traffic, causing traffic pile-ups. Every time a new mall comes-up you shall find a new u-turn in front of the mall to facilitate more footfalls. Why should you cause pain to public for pleasing someone?
Then at this junction (I am masking the name of the junction that he told me) a flyover can be built on this side too (there is flyover on one side of the junction) but it will never be because there is a huge petrol pump station on this side of the junction. If the flyover is built then the petrol pump will lose some business. Why Sir, for pleasing one person all others are put through so much trouble? The flyover, if built can ease-up the traffic at the important junction considerably.
I drive about 300-400 kms every day and because of these bad speed-bumps I have now started to have a back-pain. You know Sir, there shall be never a traffic problem in this city – only thing you need to is remove illegal speed bumps, limit U-turns (instead of having them at the will of few) and have traffic light junctions at a minimum distance of 200 meters. And of course a few additional flyovers should solve the problem. It is very simple Sir, but no one knows what to do.

I think there is some merit in the cab driver’s suggestions. Anyway my journey ended and I thanked him and paid-up my fare. However the cab driver’s words stayed in my mind and I wondered whether his suggestions and plight shall ever be heard in the traffic strategy rooms of the city!

So many times organizations try to have strategy-meetings to solve problems and yet fail, whereas the simplest and workable solutions may be with the employee working at perhaps the lowest level in the hierarchy. Such solutions and suggestions can only be heard by ‘engaging’ with them. Even more importantly, the real problems can be understood. Engagement approach helps you to keep your ear to the ground.

11 comments:

chinnam said...

This is one of the most interesting blogs I have read. The cab driver's common sense and intelligence makes him a good candidate for our cabinet. And not merely as the transport head but also of city and town planning. I am really impressed

Dr Mohan

richa said...

sir hats off to u :) thinking about the subject with everyday course this is ur USP :)only u can relate it so well.....
n its very true the person who go through the actual situation can describe it better.... and this was done by the cab driver....

Dr. Debashish Sengupta said...

Dear Dr. Mohan,

Thanks for your wonderful comments. I am privileged.

Regards,
Debashish

vijay said...

This is one of the reason Many of our Marketing guys will be tired, So the cab driver is right for some reason and reg your comments I realy find some one who his caring about this satuation. I, am really inspired about your words.Hoping for best in life.

Have a good day

Dr. Debashish Sengupta said...

Dear Vijay,

Thanks for your comments and for your kind wishes.

Cheers,
Debashish

Nikita said...

Sir Great relation!
Analyzed it from ur point of view and truly empathize with cab drivers as the individuals who remain in situation know them better rather than those who make decisions.......
Your passion is actually working out good and productive relations....U hav alwzz been an inspiration for me....

Regards
Nikita

Baiju Raju said...

Good one sir...interesting ...nice way to putting up common man issues in their daily life.

Govt should think about this

Keep it up Sir & Hope so...will see some more interesting blog like this.

Regards,
Baiju Raju

Dr. Debashish Sengupta said...

Dear Nikita,

Thanks for liking my blog post and for your so nice comments.

Cheers,
Debashish

Dr. Debashish Sengupta said...

Thanks a million Baiju.

Cheers,
Debashish

Harshit said...

Hi Sir, this is the first blog post of yours I read today..and man...the image of same Debashish Sir flashed in my mind, the one who taught me...exceptionally impressive and expressive...
What happened with cab driver here is unfortunately the condition in 'most' of the organizations...people have the solution and they are ready to say, but who listens to them is the question...some of the concepts fail to move beyond the boundaries of management classes. Hope the corporate world becomes more receptive to such concepts.

Dr. Debashish Sengupta said...

Thanks Harshit for your comments.

Cheers,
Debashish